Codemasters’ TOCA Race Driver 3 (TRD3) is a good-looking, good-feeling racer that offers thrilling and highly satisfying action aswell as a very accessible and generally convincing driving model. It does works on Windows 8 but the StarForce protection drivers installed alongside it will stop Windows 8 from booting.
To be able to boot Windows 8 after installing TRD3, you need to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement. (Now here I think I was lucky. I had just recently set up my system to dual boot between 8 and XP and this gives me a boot menu where I can press F8 and select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement. If I didn’t, I do not know how to access that boot option because all the pages talking about it presume you can boot into Windows 8. If you’ve installed TRD3, you can’t.)
To remove the StarForce protection drivers:
- Go to the official Update/Remove driver page.
- Download and run the StarForce pre 5.5 remove utility.
- Your system should now reboot successfully.
To play the game on Windows 8:
- Find (from a reliable source) a Fixed EXE and a no-CD patch. You may need to replace RD3.exe then run a CD-Check removal patcher.
- Scan your Race Driver 3 folder with a virus, malware and spyware scanner, pray to your God, turn around three times and spit on the back of your hand before running any downloaded executable files, specifically the CD-Check removal patcher and TRD3.exe after running the CD-Check removal patcher.
- Set XP SP3 compatibility option on HardwareSetup.exe to configure the game.
- Set the Run as Administrator compatibility option on TRD3.exe to play the game.